The World Health Organization is Hiring a Health Emergency Officcer, for Cabo Delgado.
The purpose of the post is to provide technical support to Nampula Gombe operations response on support the planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the health operations of health emergencies going co in Nampula.
- To provide technical support to enhance early warning/disease Surveillance for timely detection and response to on-going emergencies (IDSR diseases, natural disasters (flooding, cyclone, malnutrition and other disasters) and International Health Regulations;
- Strengthening emergency response/resilience and preparedness activities to reduce mortality, morbidity especially due to the impact of outbreaks and or public health emergencies;
- Strengthening the health system, enhancing health equity, tackling the social determinants of health and envisioning the achievement of universal health coverage;
- Underpin the response to the major Non communicable diseases (NCDs) and their risk factors and other health service deliveries among affected population;
- Ensure the utilization of reliable information, evidence, innovation and knowledge for improving population health outcomes, throughout the full cycle of the emergency response;
- Liaising with other sectors in providing a public health response in emergencies and outbreaks;
- Providing technical public health input for planning, project management and reporting.
- Support capacity building on Integrated disease surveillance and response to Nampula and affected districts.
- Participate and support surveillance, outbreak investigation and response efforts, monitoring and evaluation, data analysis and interpretation for decision-making;
- Ensure coordination mechanisms for disease prevention and control established at Nampula provincial and affected district;
- Collaborate with national, provincial and district authorities and health partners to coordinate and implement public health response activities as part of the Health Cluster’s strategic response; analyze existing coordination mechanisms, designing and recommending improvements;
- Provide analysis of public health risks, needs and capacities and advise on priority interventions for WHO and partners including on challenges and operational course corrections as applicable or as required;
- Prepare a consolidated weekly emergency report to the Nampula WHO suboffice IM/TL on the evolution of the Epidemic;
- Support capacity building on training and upgrading the skills of provincial and district surveillance focal persons;
- Participate in the weekly epidemiological bulletin production, conference call and share updates on outbreaks and emergency activities in the country;
- Support efforts aimed at building the capacity of health provincial and district office staff in areas of disease outbreak investigation, response, data analysis and interpretation;
- Document lessons learnt in the field;
- Conduct any other tasks/assignment authorized by IM/TL, WHE cluster and WR.
- Producing results;
- Fostering integration and teamwork;
- Communicating in a credible and effective way;
- Moving forward in changing environment;
- Knowing and managing yourself.
- Proven experience to function within multi-disciplinary and multi-national teams. Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, orally and in writing. Extensive knowledge of electronic data analysis tools.
Essential: First degree in Medicine, Health Officer, Laboratory, Nursing, Environmental Health;
Desirable: Masters in Field Epidemiology or MPH.
Essential: 5 years of relevant experience in field epidemiology, disease surveillance, public health emergency management or related field. Working experience with national authorities and or previous work in health emergencies will be an asset.
Desirable: Working experience with WHO or previous international experience would be an asset.
Languages: English: Excellent knowledge; Portuguese: Excellent knowledge Other Skills (e.g. IT): Excellent computer skills (Word, Excel, Power Point,) Duty station: Nampula.
How to Apply
Grade: Master, Degree
Job Type: Temporary