Aga Khan Academy Maputo is seeking a Librarian / English Teacher.
To provide students with learning experiences that are engaging, relevant, challenging, and significant through enabling enquiry, based on the beliefs and values of the IB within the context of the mission and ethos of the Aga Khan Academy Maputo. To ensure the students make progress as a result of their learning, to monitor this progress, and plan interventions, as necessary to maximise each student’s achievements.
The Aga Khan Academies are an integrated network of residential schools dedicated to expanding access to education of an international standard of excellence to exceptional young men and women regardless of their ability to pay. Envisaged in Africa, South and Central Asia and the Middle East, the Aga Khan Academies’ foundational values include pluralism, meritocracy, and civil society. Housed in spacious and attractive campuses with outstanding facilities the Academies offer the International Baccalaureate (IB) Curriculum from Primary Years to the Diploma and provide a rich opportunity for both teachers and students alike to grow both professionally and personally. The first Aga Khan Academy opened in Mombasa, Kenya in 2003, the second in Hyderabad, India in 2011, the third in Maputo, Mozambique in 2013, and the network is now expanding with the construction of the fourth Academy in Dhaka, Bangladesh.
The Academies aim to develop meritorious young men and women into homegrown ethical leaders through education of the highest international standard in purpose-built campuses. The vision and ethos of the Aga Khan Academy Maputo is encapsulated in its mission statement that calls for a commitment to promote excellence in teaching.
The primary focus of every teacher at the Academy is to consider what the students are learning, how they are demonstrating that learning, and how to nurture students within the school community. As IB MYP & DP practitioners, they have the responsibility to demonstrate a commitment to the IB beliefs and values and translate them into daily classroom practice, while developing the attributes of the AKA learner profile both within themselves and their students.
Teachers at the Aga Khan Academy Maputo also show a commitment to continually developing themselves as members of a professional learning community, and they will be expected to interact and collaborate with colleagues across the campus and contribute to the growth of the Academies network in appropriate ways, through mechanisms such as virtual planning exercises and teacher exchanges.
- Maintain the Senior School library as inviting, nurturing learning centre through the appropriate use, storage, and care of displays, resources, and student work.
- Provide access to relevant and stimulating material necessary for a variety of needs and purposes such as inquiry, reading for pleasure, information that supports learning.
- Establish a school-wide ethos of learning through the development of inquiry, action, and reflection by supporting teachers in the units of inquiry.
- Through the acquisition of the material in the library, promote mother tongues and other languages in the community as well as develop intercultural awareness and international mindedness.
- Provide a supporting role to the IB MYP and DP for personal learning and goals.
- Effectively teach English lessons through Language and Literature (Language A) or Language Acquisition (Language B) in the MYP and/or DP.
- Actively and collaboratively participate in the life of the Senior School and the Academy as a whole, in and out of normal school hours.
- Display and model professionalism.
- Participate actively in the Appraisal for Growth process as a member of the AKA,M professional learning community.
- Understanding and a commitment to the IB programmes.
- Strong mastery of subject knowledge, skills, and concepts.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the capacity to interact well and communicate effectively with students, parents, and colleagues within a diverse and pluralistic society.
- A team player with the ability and willingness to develop effective skills and attitudes in other adults, including colleagues.
- Commitment to inspiring and motivating students with regard to their personal growth and academic attainment.
- Self-starter, able to initiate ideas and act proactively.
- A positive ‘can do’ attitude and the flexibility necessary to thrive in a start up environment.
- Bachelor’s degree in a Library Science related field.
- Professional Teaching Qualification of English (Literature or Second Language).
Valued additional assets:
- Master’s degree in Education or Library Science.
- Understanding and experience of education and educational standards beyond Mozambique.
- Intercultural appreciation and sensitivity.
- Able to appreciate diverse cultural contexts and perspectives and use them to enrich the educational experiences of the students.
- Experience as an examiner/trainer/workshop leader.
Experience and Technical Skills
- Previous IB teaching (MYP and/or DP).
- Ideally trained as a member of the IB Educator Network.
- Confident in the use of educational technology.
Other Skills and personal traits
- Excellent command of English – both written and oral.
- Knowledge and understanding of African cultures is desirable but not essential.
- Portuguese language is desirable but not essential.
How do I take this further?
For further information and to apply, please visit www.akdn.org/careers
Job Type: Full-Time
Vista em: https://altojob.mais-moz.com/