Aga Khan Academy Maputo is hiring a Portuguese Language Acquisition Teacher (MYP&DP).
To provide students with learning experiences that are engaging, relevant, challenging, and significant through enabling enquiry, based on the beliefs and values of the IB within the context of the mission and ethos of the Aga Khan Academy Maputo. To ensure the students make progress as a result of their learning, to monitor this progress and plan interventions, as necessary to maximise each student’s achievements.
The Aga Khan Academies are an integrated network of residential schools dedicated to expanding access to education of an international standard of excellence to exceptional young men and women regardless of their ability to pay. Envisaged in Africa, South and Central Asia and the Middle East, the Aga Khan Academies’ foundational values include pluralism, meritocracy, and civil society. Housed in spacious and attractive campuses with outstanding facilities the Academies offer the International Baccalaureate (IB) Curriculum from Primary Years to the Diploma and provide a rich opportunity for both teachers and students alike to grow both professionally and personally. The first Aga Khan Academy opened in Mombasa, Kenya in 2003, the second in Hyderabad, India in 2011, the third in Maputo, Mozambique in 2013, and the network is now expanding with the construction of the fourth Academy in Dhaka, Bangladesh.
The Academies aim to develop meritorious young men and women into homegrown ethical leaders through education of the highest international standard in purpose-built campuses. The vision and ethos of the Aga Khan Academy Maputo is encapsulated in its mission statement that calls for a commitment to promote excellence in teaching.
The primary focus of every teacher at the Academy is to consider what the students are learning, how they are demonstrating that learning, and how to nurture students within the school community. As IB MYP & DP practitioners, they have the responsibility to demonstrate a commitment to the IB beliefs and values and translate them into daily classroom practice, while developing the attributes of the AKA learner profile both within themselves and their students.
Teachers at the Aga Khan Academy Maputo also show a commitment to continually developing themselves as members of a professional learning community, and they will be expected to interact and collaborate with colleagues across the campus and contribute to the growth of the Academies network in appropriate ways, through mechanisms such as virtual planning exercises and teacher exchanges.
- Being responsible for the pastoral care of the students including maintaining records of individual students;
- Planning and implementing a variety of learning engagements that promote inquiry, creativity, and critical thinking. Providing students with learning experiences that are individually differentiated to accommodate a range of abilities and learning styles.
- Effective teaching across the IB programmes;
- Contributing to the collaborative planning of the IB curriculum;
- Integrating the Aga Khan Strands into the teaching and learning programmes;
- Authentically assessing, recording, tracking, and reporting on the progress of all students, using a range of monitoring and assessment strategies;
- Developing learning environments as inviting, nurturing and interactive spaces through the appropriate use, storage and care of displays, resources, and students’ work;
- Communicating necessary programme information to all stakeholders;
- Actively and collaboratively participating in the life of the Academy as a whole, in and out of normal school hours, for instance contributing to the development of enrichment and residential experiences for students;
- Displaying and modelling professionalism;
- Participating actively in the Appraisal for Growth process as a member of the Academy’s professional learning community;
- Working to stay abreast of professional best practice in the teaching and learning.
- An understanding and a commitment to the IB programmes;
- Strong mastery of subject knowledge, skills, and concepts;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the capacity to interact well and communicate effectively with students, parents, and colleagues within a diverse and pluralistic society;
- A team player with the ability and willingness to develop effective skills and attitudes in other adults, including colleagues;
- Commitment to inspiring and motivating students regarding their personal growth and academic attainment;
- Self-starter, able to initiate ideas and act proactively;
- A positive ‘can do’ attitude and the flexibility necessary to thrive in a start-up environment.
- Bachelor’s degree in an education related field;
- Professional Teaching Qualification.
Valued additional assets
- Master’s degree in Education;
- Understanding and experience of education and educational standards beyond Mozambique;
- Intercultural appreciation and sensitivity;
- Able to appreciate diverse cultural contexts and perspectives and use them to enrich the educational experiences of the students;
- Experience as an examiner/trainer/workshop leader.
Experience and Technical Skills
- Previous IB teaching (MYP and/or DP).
- Ideally trained as a member of the IB Educator Network.
- Confident in the use of educational technology.
- Familiar with the new Diploma Programme curricular changes
Other Skills and personal traits
- Excellent command of Portuguese and English – both written and oral.
- Knowledge and understanding of African cultures.
How to Apply
Job Type: Full-Time
Vista em: https://altojob.mais-moz.com/